If you’ve been reading my blog over the past year, you’ll know that I had taken the time to review all of the On the Road/Virtual Rides Series of videos by the good folks over at Spinervals. If you’re starting to prepare and plan for colder weather in the upcoming months, I thought it’d be a good time to give you a quick ranking of the entire series in one post.
Keep in mind that I have ranked these based on my style of riding. I’m not a time trial rider – nor am I a long-distance athlete. I’m merely a rider who likes to squeeze in 20-30 miles when I get the chance (preferably a few times a week) – and I use the virtual rides as a way to mimic those rides when I’m too wimpy to go outside. I use the 1UpUSA Trainer (older version – but – I have the potential to try the new version this year).
So, here is my ranking from top to bottom of all of the existing On the Road Series at this time (along with handy links to the full review):
- Tucson, AZ – Virtual Ride 3.0 – Two separate workouts and both are fun and challenging! (here’s a link to the second workout review)
- Maryland – Virtual Ride 1.0 – The first in the series is a great variable route.
- Lake Placid, NY – Virtual Ride 2.0 – Preview an Iron Man Course.
- Madison, WI – Virtual Ride 4.0 – Join a group to travel the Cheesehead State.
- Tempe, AZ – Virtual Ride 6.0 – Coach Troy makes the leap to endurance riding. Mostly flat and straight.
- Louisville, KY – Virtual Ride 5.0 – Long and difficult to stay focused.
- Kona, HI – Virtual Ride 7.0 – “Moonscape” is in the description. Very fitting!
Hope you find this tidy list handy as you make plans for your cold weather indoor riding! I’m not aware of any new virtual rides planned by Spinervals – but am hoping there will be a new one released for the holiday season.
I’ll also be looking to review some more indoor workouts this year. If you know of any series I should be considering (or ones in which you’d get a kick out of knowing the pain I’d go through for the sake of a review) – kindly let me know!